About The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is open to PhD-recent graduates from all countries, including those who are citizens of Canada. If an international student has finished their PhD at a Canadian university or will be conducting postdoctoral research there, they are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
It is crucial to remember that overseas students might need to fulfill extra conditions, such as getting a work visa, in order to qualify for the fellowship. The scholarship covers a yearly stipend, research allowance, and travel expenses.
Objective of Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships among other things seeks to;
- Attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally.
- Develop their leadership potential.
- Position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Host Institutions
Universities in Canada and abroad, connected research hospitals, colleges, and not-for-profit organizations with a strong research mandate and capacity are among the institutions that are qualified to host a Banting postdoctoral researcher.
All for-profit organizations and all levels of government in Canada (federal, provincial, municipal) are ineligible to serve as host institutions.
The location of the scholarship varies based on the host institution.
Field of Study
The available field of study for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are highlighted below. Please note that this list may not be exhaustive.
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and/or humanities
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Eligibility
- Applicants who currently hold or have held agency-specific (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) awards at the postdoctoral level are eligible to apply to the 2022-23 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program only if the term of that funding officially ends on or before September 30, 2023 and prior to the start of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship. Early termination of the agency-specific postdoctoral award for the purpose of application to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is not permitted.
- Applicants can apply for both the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program and other agency-specific postdoctoral fellowships programs (whether to the same or a different federal granting agency) at the same time, provided that the research proposed in each application falls within the mandate of the federal granting agency to which the application is submitted. For more information, please refer to Identify area of research.
*Applicants who are successful in both competitions will have to choose which award to accept.
- Applicants must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a position. Generally, “tenure or tenure-track” refers to an open-ended academic position in which the holder can form a research group, apply for externally funded research as a principal investigator, and teach.
- Only in rare circumstances will a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship be awarded to an applicant who is staying at the same institution or within the same research environment where they completed their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree. If an applicant chooses to apply in collaboration with the same institution (or its affiliated hospitals, research centres and other laboratories) or within the same research environment from which they obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, a solid justification must be provided in the Special circumstances attachment. Examples of valid justifications are scientific reasons (e.g., availability of specialized equipment/infrastructure or expertise), family reasons (e.g., family obligations), health reasons (e.g., proximity to health care facilities), applicants conducting research with Indigenous communities, and/or reasons related to community or cultural responsibilities.
- Applicants can submit only one application per competition year to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
- Applications must be prepared, finalized and submitted by applicants using ResearchNet.
- Any information that exceeds the page/character limits, or is not required, will be removed from the application prior to peer review.
- All documents updated by the applicants must be uploaded as unprotected PDF documents and not exceed 30 MB.
- Applicants must preview all components of their application in order to ensure its completeness.
- Applications must be submitted prior to the deadline posted on ResearchNet or the institution internal deadline, whichever comes first. CIHR cannot legally accept an application until the “Consent and Submit” task is completed on ResearchNet.
- This document provides general instructions, but does not necessarily represent an exhaustive list of all information required to complete an application.
- For this funding opportunity, applicants are not required to indicate their name, the project title, the section title (e.g., Research Project Summary) and the page number for each application section
- To be considered eligible for CIHR programs, the health profession must require at least a Bachelor’s degree for licensure in Canada, be regulated by provincial legislation, and provide a service that promotes health and/or prevents disease.
- The provincial legislation regarding licensing requirements for the above professions will vary from province to province.
- All health professionals in one of the disciplines listed above and licensed to practice in Canada are eligible to be considered for the higher stipend level under the CIHR Fellowships program.
- It is the responsibility of the licensing body to determine what is required in order to offer a full or educational license.
|April to September 2022
|Applicants seek endorsement from host institution to apply, prepare and submit application (institutions may have internal deadlines).
|September 21, 2022
|Deadline for complete application submission
|October to December 2022
|Evaluation of applications
|Anticipated notification of results. Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.
|April to October 2023