The Gates foundation is currently open to applicants across the world seeking for a fully-funded Scholarship in the U.K. This post highlights all you need to know about the eligibility and application process of the Gates Cambridge Scholarships. The scholarship is fully funded for masters and PhD studies in the UK.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The University of Cambridge received the largest single gift ever made to a UK university—US$210 million—from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in October 2000, resulting in the creation of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program that still runs till date.
For the2023 academic year, Gates Cambridge will provide 80 full scholarships to deserving non-UK applicants who wish to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject offered by the University of Cambridge. There will be about 25 awards available in the US round and 55 awards available in the international round, with about two-thirds of these awards going to PhD candidates.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Host Institution
The host institution for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship is the University of Cambridge.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Location
The location for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship is the United Kingdom.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Available Field of Study
The available fields of study for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship include all the available courses at University of Cambridge except the courses listed below;
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
- How To Appply For ERA Scholarship for $1 Million & $100K Dollars
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 | Eligibility & Application
- Undergraduate Scholarship for International students in the U.S. 2023
- York University International Student Scholarships | Application Guide
- Student Visa | How to Successfully Apply for Student Visa
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Benefits
Applicants who come out successful in the application process for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship are provided with the following benefits:
- The University Composition Fee (http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/fees) at the appropriate rate.
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£18,744 for 12 months at the 2022-23 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years.
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course.
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge (https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/overview).
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,944 for one child and up to £15,612 for two or more children (2022-23 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties facing the scholar
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Eligibility
To be eligible for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, applicants must be;
- Non-UK citizen
- Seeking to study one of the following courses at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (full-time or part-time)
- MLitt (full-time)
- One year postgraduate course (full-time), with some exceptions.
How to Apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarship?
Interested applicants should
- Apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section.
- Visit the scholarship official page and create an account https://apply.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applicant/login?dswid=-1671
- Fill in your personal information
- Submit these documents:
- Gates Cambridge Statement: In no more than 3000 characters (approximately 500 words) please explain why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and how you meet the four main criteria.
- Research proposal (PhD applicants only)
- Gates reference: In addition to two academic references for admission, Gates Cambridge applicants submit a reference about their fit with the scholarship.
- Answer the application questions.
- Submit the application
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Application Deadline:
- For US Citizens: October 12, 2022
- For International Students: Dependent on your course – either 1 December 2022 or 5 January 2023